Lavender + Orange Cake = Love at First Bite

The perfect balance of orange & lavender makes for an absolutely heavenly cake that it is quick & easy to make!


Each year I add a few more lavender plants around the pool but never really knew what to do with the fragrant flowers. Sure, I dried them & placed them in the guest apartments but to be honest I was afraid to cook with them at risk of making a lovely dessert taste soapy! Well this year I was determined to try - Jason made the first attempt with lavender short bread cookies - they were amazing & eaten in one sitting. I was inspired and my taste buds were salivating for more... The perfect opportunity arose when a we found ourselves with extra yogurt in the fridge and I thought -great, I'll make a lavender yogurt cake. I actually made two - orange & lavender cake and rosemary cake with lavender glaze and they are both to die for! 

The perfect balance of orange & lavender makes for an absolutely heavenly cake that it is quick & easy to make!


Lavender & Orange Cake Recipe

Ingredients:
1/2 cup (single-serving container) of plain yogurt
1 cup flour
1 cup granulated sugar 
1/4 cup vegetable oil 
3 eggs
1/2 a tablespoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon lavender, chopped finely
1 tablespoon orange zest, chopped finely


Method:
Preheat your oven to 425°F and get a 9" round cake pan or 8"x4" loaf pan ready by generously buttering it.
1. Combine all your ingredients.
2. Mix with a wire whisk until you get a smooth batter (careful not to over mix), then pour into your pan.
3. Bake for 30 minutes. 


5 comments :

  1. Hey Foodies, Chef Bartner's Cake recipe has been selected by Knapkins to be featured in a Recipe Guessing Game. Invite fans to play: http://knapkins.com/guess_games/574?source=blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted a version of this on my blog, A Life Less Awkward. Super delicious cake and I love your blog. Thanks for the inspiration to cook with lavender.

    Here's the link to my post: http://www.alifelessawkward.com/2012/07/31/orange-lavender-cake/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last summer a facebook friend in the UK posted that she was sitting on a park bench enjoying orange lavender cake. I had never heard of it, googled, and stumbled across this recipe. I've been making it ever since, and bring a loaf for pot luck dinners. I've received many compliments, and everyone's always surprised by the lavender :)

    ReplyDelete

Instagram